Saturday, August 14, 2010

2010 Caesar Creek Olympic Triathlon Recap: part 1

On July 11, 2010 I completed my first Olympic distance triathlon! That is a 1500 meter swim (which is almost a mile), a 25 mile bike and a 6.2 mile run. After nearly six months of training with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training, I was able to cross the finish line but more importantly I was able to raise over $2,800 towards the mission of finding a cure for blood cancers. I couldn’t have met either challenge without the amazing support of my friends and family!

Many of you heard that our original race was canceled so we had to find another race. We ended up registering for the Caesar’s Creek Triathlon in Waynesville, Ohio. Our team met at the lake the afternoon before the race to scope out the course and to have a pasta dinner together. We were all nervous but really excited that race weekend was finally here!




On race morning, our team gathered at 6 am to head over to the lake. It was a beautiful morning but we knew that it was going to be a hot one! When we arrived we picked up our timing chip, which looks a lot like a house arrest bracelet, but it tracks your exact time throughout the whole race. Our race numbers were written on our arms so race officials could identify each person. There were over 700 people competing so there was a lot of organized chaos. We all entered the transition area where all of our gear is stored during the race. Naturally I had a check list with me to make sure I didn’t forget anything before heading toward the water for a warm-up swim.

Continued in part 2

No comments:

Post a Comment