Saturday, August 14, 2010

Triathlon Recap Post 5

Thank You!
This was my fourth event with Team in Training and kicked off my sixth year of volunteering with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Over the past six years, my family, friends, teammates and even complete strangers have helped me raise nearly $13,000. Our team hero, Seth Jenkins lost his battle with cancer not long after we started training for this race. He was with our team in spirit during the 6 am swim practices and during the 30 mile bike rides in the heat and humidity. He was there with us all on race day. We couldn’t save Seth but he was the kind of kid that didn’t stop fighting so we won’t stop fighting either. We will find a cure for these horrible blood cancers. We will spare another family from going through what the Jenkins family went through. This was an amazing experience for me and it was an opportunity to prove to myself that I am tougher and stronger than I give myself credit for sometimes and that I really can achieve things that seem impossible in the beginning. One of my favorite Walt Disney quotes is “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible” and it really is!

I hope that my unlikely journey to becoming an endurance athlete is inspiration for others to reach for things that they once thought were impossible and to always make sure to take a step back and realize what is really important. A bad day at work, a hard training session or even finishing last in a race doesn’t really matter at the end of the day.

Thank you so much to everyone that continues to support me in all of my adventures. I couldn’t do what I do without the financial support when I decide to fundraise for a charity, the emotional support when the training leaves me exhausted and cranky and the physical support from all of my amazing training buddies. These people know who they are and they help me push harder, go further and faster, inspire me to be my best (no matter how slow my best is!) and generally act as the glue that holds me together!
I promised myself a week off from training and that I would ease myself back into but I have a ½ marathon scheduled in 5 weeks and my biggest adventure yet, the Goofy Challenge, is in six months. Stop back to read about my training shenanigans for those events!

No comments:

Post a Comment