Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Eavesdropping on the Treadmills

I did make it to the gym last night but didn't get in the full hour I had hoped. I did spend an uninspired 45 minutes on the treadmill though.

Maybe I was uninspired because the teenager on the elliptical in front of me was literally sitting on the machine, watching TV and would periodically turn his head and roll his eyes at the man I presumed to be his dad on the tradmilll next to me...or maybe he was rolling his eyes at me because I was having a very ugly 3 mile run/walk. If that was the case, then I should have rolled my eyes right back at him. Just ask my mother, I MASTERED the art of eye rolling at age 13 and while I haven't been honing my skills lately, I could out-eye-roll that kid any day.

Or maybe it was the person who did an all out sprint on another treadmill....for 3 minutes....while wearing what I like to call "fashion track pants" and I kid you not, a long sleeved button up dress shirt. Maybe he forgot to bring his gym bag to work that morning??

Or maybe it was the women who had the treadmill set at 1.5 mph and strolled along while reading some magazine with "Preganancy Shocker!" on the cover. Yes, I "eavesdrop" on other people's treadmills.... is that weird? Anyways, I have always been a relatively slow race walker but even I trip over my own feet if I tried to walk 1.5 mph!!

I'm still trying to plan out my workouts for the rest of the week but it doesn't look good. Our local Team in Training chapter starts recruiting for the spring events tonight and The Pilot and I are traveling for a long weekend away. I wonder if walking around the Mall in DC and then dancing the night away at a wedding will count towards my 7 and 14 milers that I'm supposed to do......

I'm still new in the "bloggy world" but I am officially declaring my trainings over the November 13 weekend part of the "Not Your Average Adventure Virutal Race." I've been using other bloggers as inspiration to get through this training season....especially after the uninspired evening I had at the gym last night! Stay tuned. Thanks for the inspiration, Average Athlete!

1 comment:

  1. Wheee! Thanks for the shout-out! I can't wait to read your race report - even if it's after the 12th, I feel certain the judge will still consider you for prizes. :-)
    I usually run outside, but I am a total people-watcher at the gym, too. Other people's treadmill habits are always a source of amusement to me.

    ReplyDelete