Thursday, December 30, 2010

We're Gonna Party Like It's.....9:00 pm and we're going to bed!

When you train for a marathon, you spend a lot of time alone with your thoughts as you log the necessary miles. When you train for both a half AND a full marathon together, you have a ridiculous amount of time to yourself. As I start my taper week for the Goofy Challenge, I have had a lot of time to reflect over the past year.

I am also a cheese ball and I always take some time at the end of the year to look back through my calendar (Not only have I been old school with using a regular watch for my training, but I still use a paper calendar that I carry around in my purse.). Looking back at all of the wonderful experiences I've had over the past year, I am so thankful for all that I have. After having a rough time a few years ago, it is as if things just keep getting better. I also think that because I've been through challenges, it makes me appreciate what I have now even more.

2010 in review

  • Walked/Ran/Swam/Biked approximately 1,000 miles (Wow! I didn't even realize it had creeped up that far!)
  • Attended 17 recruitment meetings for Team in Training
  • Coached nearly 50 athletes for 7 marathons/half marathons
  • Four personal records (PR):
    1. Completed my 1st Olympic triathlon (It's PR if it's the first time you've done it, right??)
    2.
    Completed my 4th half marathon
    3. Walked a 5K with The Pilot
    4. Ran (non-stop) my 1st 4 mile race
  • Reached $12,000 in my fundraising efforts for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
  • Followed the Jenkins Family as they lost their son to leukemia
  • Cheered on Brooklyn Meddles as she fights leukemia for the second time this year
    These are just two of the many reasons that I volunteer and raise money for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Lost my aunt but through that loss, it brought our family together again
  • Traveled more than ever (Hartford, CT, 2 trips to Chicago, 2 trips to Orlando, DC, Virginia, San Francisco, plus some random road trips in there)
  • "Relayed" at Relay for Life for 18 hours straight
  • Started this blog! (And thankful that I did. Now I have a place to vent my frustrations and fears but also a place share my experiences with friends and family that are far away and with new bloggy friends. If I inspire just one person to move more-especially the non-athletic one-then that is an added bonus!)
  • Was "acknowledged" in a book by a wonderful friend. (You should all buy it!)
  • Went on a first date to a Greek restaurant and nothing was the same after that...
  • Met The Pilot and got a new "roomie"
  • It's been a year of celebrating with friends: the start of the 30th birthdays of my besties, new jobs, marriages, pregnancies, babies and, of course, racing/training victories
  • Countless hours spent enjoying my amazing family

It's been an amazing year and I'm looking forward to all that 2011 has to bring. I've never been into big New Years celebrations or resolutions. The Pilot won't be home until probably 8:30 pm so we may just have a quiet evening together...if we even make it to midnight before falling asleep! As for resolutions, I won't be making any this year (haven't made any in a couple years actually). Sure, I have lots of goals for the year and I always strive to "do better" but I don't see the need to make actual resolutions. Obviously the first goal is to survive the 2011 Goofy Challenge next weekend and get that Goofy medal that I've had my eye on for several years now!

Happy New Year to everyone! I hope that 2011 brings wonderful experiences to you all!

1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh at the post title - you've described my life exactly!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful year in 2010, cheers to great things in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete