Sunday, September 8, 2013

Working Up a Sweat...On A Learning Curve

This past week I hit the trail near my house with Megatron in the BOB twice.  The first walk was just the two of us burning up the trail.  Not really.  I did 2.5 miles at a really slow pace.  The Pilot joined us for a second walk of about 3 miles.  Again, it was slow going but it felt good to work up a sweat.  I wore the Garmin more out of curiosity to see where I'm at after such a long stretch of not working out.

There is a big learning curve for me though.  One, I feel like I'm starting from scratch.  As in, back in 2004 when I walked my first mile to train for a 1/2 marathon.  Two, I'm pushing 40+ pounds of stroller, infant seat and infant.  Three, I'm still carrying about 8 extra pounds of my own weight.  I realize that is pretty good for only 8 weeks post-partem but it certainly changes my gait.  That's not even considering the other physical changes to my hips and all that jazz.

I'm going to have to get used to pushing the stroller because when The Pilot is away, I can't just not work out.  Megatron best get used to the BOB too!  Since I have to obviously use at least one hand to push the stroller, I can't get into a the proper race walk form (or run for that matter).  I tried to push with one hand and walking to the side of the stroller so I could at least swing the other arm but that felt awkward and I kept kicking the tire.  I think it will just take some practice and trying different things until I get the hang of it.  I also discovered that the beautiful, tree-lined streets in our neighborhood make for very bumpy sidewalks.  Now I know why I have seen moms pushing strollers in the street.  Luckily it isn't too far from our house to a trail that, which with the exception of the very first part, is pretty smooth.

 Woah, where am I? 
(And for those who are safety conscious, or if our pediatrician is reading, don't worry, those car seat straps get cinched down when in motion.)

The comeback will be slow but it was begun!  Plus, with the stress of Megatron's surgery, hospital stay and recovery, I need to keep getting out there to attempt to stay sane.  I'll let you know how that goes.

The trail ends at an elementary school with a map of the US painted on the playground...so we left Megatron in Texas for a quick visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment