Sunday, June 13, 2010

WETSUITS! The wetsuits have arrived and we had our first open water swim yesterday. The team met at Alum Creek where the water is about 64 degrees right now. I'm a weenie when it comes to cold water so I was glad to have the wetsuit. It was pretty comical trying to get the wetsuits on but we had fun with it and helped each other out. I was starting to feel more comfortable with the swim distance but the open water swim knocked me down a few! It's amazing how much more difficult it is to swim in open water. You can't see anything when you look in the water so its very difficult to swim in a straight line (like I really want to swim any further than I have to!!) but you also have to deal with waves pushing you around. The cold water also takes your breath away and running into the water gets your heart rate up even before you start swimming. Luckily we are going to practice a few more times in the open water. I ran 7 miles today! That is only the 2nd time I've run that far and the 1st time I did it by myself. I had my ipod but it was still pretty boring. The biggest challenge was the humidity. I was dripping about a 1/4 mile into the run. I have always preferred winter training and humitidy does a number on my asthma but I still shuffled my way through it. I finished in 1:22 which is a little faster than previously. Slow and steady is going to finish this race....even if it's last! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment