Tuesday, January 10, 2012

America's Most Stressful Jobs 2012

I blogged about a similar article last year but The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health puts out a list each year of America's Most Stressful Jobs. The 2012 list came out last week. Airline pilot is #3 behind enlisted military solider and firefighter. I won't speak for The Pilot but yes, there are very stressful aspects to the job. I think the scheduling, long hours, trying to work against the internal body clock, etc are what bug him the most.

Want to know what bugs me the most? This article says that the average airline pilot is making $103,210. Say what? They must have only averaged the captains that have been working for the same airline for 20 years. Surely they didn't take into account the regional airline first officers that have been with one company for a handful of years.

I'm not complaining about The Pilot's pay. We are both employed and make enough to support ourselves comfortable so I'm happy as a clam about that. What I'm complaining about is where on earth did this article get their information? I've blogged about his hourly rate before (HERE and HERE) and I just have a hard time computing in my head how the average pay is 6-figures. Yes, senior captains with major airlines are certainly making 6-figures but there are a heck of a lot of regional airline pilots (captains and first officers) barely making minimum wage when you factor in the number of hours they are on duty. I'm just saying the averages are lost on me but this article also give a misconception to the public about pilots in general.

Just my couple cents on that. :)
Link

3 comments:

  1. Hey girl... I just wanted to come over and say thank you (!) for your comment on my blog. I have been having so much trouble with the "asthma" junk and it's good to hear that maybe I'm not crazy. I really appreciate your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband got out of the military and started flying with Continental Airlines...making $30K with NO health insurance (for the first 6 months).

    Yeah, he quit after 3 months. And he's never going back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, what about us really slow professional runners that never win a race? I'd say that's pretty stressful.........

    ReplyDelete