Sunday, February 19, 2012

Embracing the Climb Part I

Remember a couple weekends ago when I had a realization about hills? I've decided to keep embracing the hills rather than avoid them. Team in Training had a group practice on Saturday morning. I wasn't assigned to coach but we have a large group of walkers this season so I wanted to help out the walk trainer who was leading for the day. I also wanted to get a few miles in and "embrace the climb."

Training was at Sharon Woods. As wonderful as the trail is at that park, there are some hills. In the past, if I didn't have to be there, I would tend to go do my miles somewhere else. Lame, I know. But yesterday, I showed up. My plan was to walk one lap (approximately 3.8 miles) with the walkers and then once there were done, I'd make one more lap but I would run. I somehow stuck to the plan but once I finished with 7.57 miles, I was sort of thinking I should have stopped after one lap.

I felt completely hungover when I woke up, despite not having any adult beverages the night before. I stayed up way too late, then had trouble falling asleep. With that going against me, I also fueled up with pizza and a cupcake. Fail! I managed to drag myself out of bed and get to training on time. I felt decent on the first lap. I walked a pace close to my 1/2 marathon race pace for the first mile and a half but then slowed down and finished the lap with one of the current participants. I was headed back out when Lisa offered to go out with me. I don't think she intended to another 3.8 miles but she's a rock star and went with me anyways. Never mind the fact that she has a 1/2 marathon in a week and she's supposed to be tapering. Today is her 50th birthday so she must have had an extra spring in her step and dragged me through another lap.
Tiaras are totally acceptable when you are turning 50 and about to run the Princess 1/2 marathon at Disney World! She had to test out her new gear....because as we always tell our athletes, nothing new on race day!

About 1/2 way through the second lap, I hit a wall. Hard. Lack of sleep, poor fuel and the hills did me in. I was exhausted. Even a walk break didn't seem to help. If Lisa wouldn't have been with me, I would have certainly walked.....sloooowly the entire way back to the car. Instead we managed a run/walk and made it back. It's been awhile since I've bonked like that during a training and was definitely a reminder that you can't abuse your body and expect it to perform well. In the end, I got in a decent workout though. It's better than staying in bed and not doing anything (what I really wanted to do). And hopefully burned off that cupcake and at least one slice of pizza.

1 comment:

  1. Great job hitting the pavement despite not feeling the best. I always say that without the tough/hard runs you can't have the great runs.

    ReplyDelete