Sunday, February 5, 2012

And for my next trick....

So it took me a little time to come up with my next challenge. It's been a busy 12 months and I was thinking maybe I just needed some time to chill out (remember my New Year post?) but I quickly realized that this type A woman cannot chill out. I need a challenge. If I'm going to keep myself from turning into a chunky monkey again or if I'm going to continue my weight loss journey, I have to keep moving. In order to keep moving, I need a goal to work towards. Working towards the generic and vague "I'm going to lose x pounds" just doesn't keep me motivated. But a race sure will!

And for my next trick...

I will be competing in the Wendy's triathlon with The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. As I head into my 8th year as a volunteer and my 6th year as a coach, I figured I might as well sign up for another event....my 6th fundraising event with the organization. And I'm so excited about it! This is another sprint triathlon but it's a different location the my last two triathlons (2010 recap and 2011 recap).

On June 10 I will swim 750 meters (about 1/2 mile), I will bike 17 miles and then I will finish it up with a 10k (6.2 mile) run. In addition to that fun, I am going to raise money to help fund cancer research and patient aid in addition to improving the quality of life of cancer patients and their families. The only way to do that is to ask for your help. Skip that fancy cup of coffee for a couple mornings and make a donation. Every single donation helps get us closer to a cure.


So while I solicit your help in reaching my fundraising goal, I'll be putting in the work during training. And it started this morning with the first official group practice. We had a swim clinic and it kicked my butt....and it was great. My coach pointed out that I have a lucky fin just like Nemo. I get a little lazy with my left arm stoke....and I completely wore myself out trying to correct the problem. But that's all part of the experience!

With some of my team mates after our hour long swim.
Exhausted but smiling and no one drown!

Thank you in advance for your support as I start out on another endurance adventure. Stay tuned for all of my training shenanigans. It's going to be a great season!

2 comments: