Saturday, June 18, 2011

Uphill, in the snow, without any shoes

This has been one of the most miserable weeks I've EVER had. And I had A LOT of miserable weeks several years ago. I blogged about my poison ivy a couple days ago and I'm STILL dealing with it. It just wouldn't go away despite a trip to the doctor, a shot and a prescription. Other than the uncontrollable itching, the lack of sleep is what broke me down. As in, I sat in bed sobbing the other night because I couldn't sleep for the 5th night in a row.

I had tried several over the counter remedies in addition to the shot but nothing was working. Finally, the doctor called in a steroid dose pack to the pharmacy and the suggested an oatmeal bath and 2 Benadryl before I went to bed. Finally! On Thursday night and last night, I was able to sleep through the night. No tears. :)

That Mud Run ended up costing a whole lot more than the entry fee.
  • Entry fee $65
  • Doctor co-pay $30
  • Useless prescription $9
  • Calamine $6
  • Domeboro $12
  • Cortisone Cream $3
  • Aveeno Bath $9
  • Benadryl $5
  • Prescription steroid $15
  • Laffy Taffy to easy my suffering $1
That's $150! Not counting the gas to drive to the doctor's office, to the pharmacy multiple times, and having to use up a personal day at work for all this drama. Ugh.


I finally made it back to a team practice, a bike ride this morning, and was talking to one of my teammates that did the Mud Run. I was telling him about the past week and I told him that I was really regretting doing the Mud Run because I have been so miserable. I told him that I didn't think it was worth it even though we had a blast. He pointed out that it was a great experience and now I have a gnarly story to tell about it. Kind of like my own version of "I had to walk uphill, both directions to school, in the snow, without any shoes."

Still, even though my Mud Run experience was pretty epic, I'm not sure that I'd do it again unless I could be guaranteed there wouldn't be any poison ivy along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment