Tuesday, July 24, 2012

I Heart Carrots

I was coaching on Saturday morning but again the teacher became the student.  Of the walkers (all alumni!) who came to training, I was the slowest.  It didn't really phase me though as I took the opportunity to get my own training in.  And gave me the opportunity to use those walkers as my carrot.  I did my best to keep them within eye sight as we made our way through 7 miles.  Anytime there was a curve in the trail and I'd lose sight of them, I would pick up the pace to try to make up some time.  I never caught up to them but I finished within a minute or two of them.

Aren't they cute carrots?  They are also cancer-fighting super heroes but that's another story.

So I didn't catch up to them but I did have probably the fastest 7 miles (walking) I've ever had.  Ever.  I was shocked when I glanced down and saw 13 as the first number in my pace.  Normally the only time I see a 13 minute mile is when I'm running and I feel like I'm about to die.  Even more shocking is that once I got warmed up and the shin splints went away, I was cruising.  Negative splits up until mile 6 and then I had an exact repeat.  I don't think I could have two miles at the exact same pace again if I tried.

It was a great start to my Saturday morning. I won't lie though, my legs were pretty sore the rest of the weekend.  It was nice to have amazing weather.  It was in the 70s for our entire walk!!  Mother nature finally cut me some slack on Saturday and send the 100 degrees and 100% humidity somewhere else.

1 comment:

  1. I often have people from my club at training as carrots - helps me to push just that little bit harder!

    ReplyDelete