Friday, February 22, 2013

Sweating, Rocking Out and a Photo Dump

I finally dragged my lame, pregnant self to the basement!  I laced up my shoes last night after dinner and hit the treadmill.  I told myself that as long as I wasn't experiencing any "baby discomfort" I was going to stay on that machine for at least 30 minutes.  It's hard to believe that just over a month ago I did a 1/2 marathon and now I'm forcing myself to stay on the treadmill for a measly 30 minutes.  Sigh.  I think I'm mourning the loss of what my body was capable of at the end of 2012 but that's a whole different post.

To motivate myself to stay on the evil treadmill, I put in the DVD, Pearl Jam 20.  I blogged about seeing the documentary on the big screen a million years ago but finally "splurged" and bought a copy of the DVD for future viewing pleasure.  I'm so glad I did.  I popped it in, cranked the volume so I could hear it over the ancient treadmill and got my sweat on.  The Pilot wasn't home so I could sing along as loud as I wanted also.  Score.

So I rocked out to my PJ while trying to maintain a somewhat decent walk pace (15:30).  I didn't do too bad but the ache in my hips/lower back was constant.  I did a half mile warm up before testing the waters.  I haven't run a step since the 1/2 marathon last month.  I slowly increased the pace on the treadmill until I was shuffling along at 13:00.  And I proceeded to hang out for exactly....a quarter mile.  Sigh.  I could sense my heart rate was well on it's way to "baby discomfort" so I backed off and went back to a walk.  And was frustrated that it took nearly another quarter mile to feel comfortable again.  Sigh.  I did another quarter mile run with the same results.  I'm taking extra care to listen to every sign my body gives me right now.  Obviously as  a marathoner, I've conditioned my body to keep going through discomfort.  And that's just not an option anymore now that I'm growing a human.  While obviously I am ok with that, there is still a "mourning" process that I think I'm in the middle of right now.

On a complete tangent though, while rocking out to my PJ, I was reminded of one of my favorite PJ memories.  I was probably 14 or 15 and had heard a PJ concert on the radio.  They sang a song that I knew was a cover, I just didn't know who the original artist was.  It bugged me.  It bugged my BFF, Lauren (and fellow PJ junkie) also.  So one night we called the local rock radio station and sang the song to the DJ to ask if he knew who sang the song originally.  The song?  The Who's Baba O'Riley.  Before anyone gets up in arms that I didn't know that is was a Who song....it was somewhere around 1995 or 1996, and I didn't grow up with exposure to The Who.  I knew of them, but I wouldn't have recognized any of their songs (at the time).  Thinking back, I'm still a little surprised we actually tried to sing to a radio DJ over the phone.  :)

And on another tangent (because that's how the pregnant brain works)...here are some cell pictures for your viewing pleasure.

We've been wondering why the nursery is so cold.  And then we discovered why.  There is a rather large cat laying ON the register.  He's annoyed that we moved his cat bed to another room and now there are random crib parts laying around.

Meanwhile, I've been practicing "baby-wearing" with the other cat.  She loves to cuddle so I figured she would like the baby sling I got.  She loved it.  Hopefully cat lady = good baby mama. And hopefully old school cell phone doesn't = uncool baby mama.

I don't recall if I mentioned it by I had the sinus infection from hell last month.  While I could take antibiotics, I had to suffer through the symptoms for 2 weeks because I can't take any of the "good stuff" right now.  Anyways, on one of my 2 trips to the doctor, I found my pregnant self having to pee while I waited for the doctor.  This was in the restroom...
Looks like the lab tech has a sense of humor.

The cats were loving my first trimester fatigue AND the sinus infection.  That meant lots of cuddle time on the couch.  I think they were the only ones that were comfortable.

Speaking of comfortable...

When the cat is comfortable, you don't dare move her do you?  Not if you are The Pilot.   Figment was in his office chair when he wanted to do some internet-ing....but he didn't want to disturb her.  He's nicer than me.  I would have booted her off. 

2 comments:

  1. Love the pic of the cat in the chair. That would totally be my dog. Hey I'm on the couch, you can sit on the floor...that's what he would say if he could talk.

    You won't have nearly as much fitness while your pregant, but keep at it. It will make you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh your cats are so like ours! I find myself contorting myself into the strangest positions so I don't "disturb" the cats while they're asleep - ON OUR BED !!!

    ReplyDelete