Monday, March 18, 2013

Locks of Love

I donated my hair to Locks of Love back in the spring of 2010.  Locks of Love creates wigs for kids with medical hair loss.  I had always had short to shoulder length hair but I've always had a ton of it.  When it started to get longer (mostly out of laziness), I decided to go for it and grow it out at least long enough to donate the necessary 10 inch minimum.

After I made my first donation, one of my niece's classmates was diagnosed with cancer.  I think between that and my previous donation, the bug was in her ear and she seemed interested in growing her hair out.  I offered that if she was able to stick it out and grow it long enough, I would grow my hair out with her and we could make the "big cut" together.

I was more than ready several months ago to cut mine but her hair wasn't quite long enough yet without her ending up with a pixie cut.  So we waited.  Then I started taking prenatal vitamins and my already thick hair just got thicker and kept on growing.  It was getting a bit unweildy to manage.  Luckily she finally caught up.

I was so proud of her for sticking it out (especially last summer when the long hair was HOT!).  I know it was a family affair since my brother and sister-in-law sometimes had a "challenge" on their hands to keep her hair brushed and out of her face.

This weekend was the "big cut." I was so excited to be getting rid of the extra weight!  I felt like I instantly lost the weight I've gained from baby!  :)

Before....


After....

Is that not the sweetest face you've ever seen?? 
She's 8 and I swear the new hair cut makes her look 10.
After the hair cuts we enjoyed a girls' afternoon together, including dinner with her mom (my sister-in-law) and my mama.  We were teaching my niece the important things in life...such as always taking time for a girls day...and opting in for the ice cream sundae bar after dinner.

2 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest thing! I love that you got to share that with your niece. You both look so happy with your new haircuts.

    Haircuts and ice cream. That sounds like the perfect girls day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your Ella is gorgeous! LOVE the new hair! :)

    ReplyDelete