Monday, March 11, 2013

Stretch It Out

In the past 24 hours I have done a prenatal Pilates video as well as prenatal yoga.  Obviously I'm attempting to keep fit during this pregnancy but there's another reason.  Lower back pain.  It started really early on...maybe around 9 or 10 weeks and continues to get worse.  I've added a small pillow to just about every chair I sit in (including the car!).  For once, The Pilot's job has come in handy (other than, you know, providing income) when he came home with a small airline pillow for me.  It's the perfect size.  So far that kinda sorta helps but ultimately, my back just hurts all the time.  I try to not sit in one place too long without walking around, I've tried a pillow between my knees at night, etc.  Blah.

I'm already over it and I know that it will probably just continue as my belly expands and my posture changes.  I've gotten a few other pieces of advice (body pillow at night, belly support belt) but I think I'm going to talk to my doctor about it this week.  Fingers crossed she will say something awesome like I need a prescription for massages.  :)

As for the videos, I found the Pilates easier but mostly because I've taken professional classes before so I know the proper poses.  While they are modified for pregnancy, I felt like I knew what I was doing.  Yoga is a different story.  I can't seem to breath the right "direction" when they tell me to.  I spend more time watching the screen and trying to figure out if I'm doing it right.  I found a local yoga studio that offers prenatal yoga at a pretty reasonable price...and you can pay per class.  I'm thinking I might go a few times, learn some of the moves and then try it at home.

In the meantime, everything except my back is feeling very stretched out.

1 comment:

  1. no fun!!! I went through this very same thing during my pregnancy (my little guy is 6 months old now so it's still very fresh)...
    Get a referral for physical therapy if you can from your doctor and avoid stretching your hamstrings and glutes. I could barely walk at 25 weeks due to hip/low back/sciatic pain, but managed to be nearly pain free and active to the end after just a couple sessions and regular pool therapy. My PT said to avoid yoga and pilates (hard to do since I am an instructor for both!). I'm also trained in prenatal and postpartum fitness... feel free to email me with questions (I'm a pilot's wife too!). becomingalivept@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete