Monday, July 1, 2013

Around the Block

After a really long week for both me and The Pilot (his last long trip before the baby arrives was made longer after bad weather and broken airplanes stranded him away from home a night longer than expected), we couldn't wait for the weekend.

On Friday evening, when I got home from work we grabbed some dinner and then were surprised at how nice the weather was after dinner.  It's been stupid hot here lately (just made worse by my pregnant state) so taking a walk after dinner has been out of the question (for me at least).  We decided to take a walk around the block. 

I really wanted to go to a group training on Saturday morning (I miss my training buddies!!) despite the doctor telling me to avoid activities that aggravated the hip pain.  Basically, anytime I am in the same position for more than a couple minutes, my hip pain is aggrivated.  So why bother avoiding walks?  I figured I'd go to training, walk 2 miles and go home and rest.  I decided the walk around the block could be a "warm up."  Make sure all the parts still work or something like that...

Not so much.  That walk around the block was a workout. The block we opted to go around is just over 1/2 mile.  And about 1/4 mile into the walk, I could have sat on the curb to take a break.  I was winded.  I was hot.  My fingers felt like they were swelling (they weren't really).  We could SEE our house when I got a cramp in my belly.  Blah.  I waddled the rest of the way as The Pilot practically tripped over his feet from walking so slowly. 

As soon as we got home, I laid down on my left side (that is the place to be when you are prego) on the couch.  The cramp went away immediately. I could have had a meltdown right then and there to be honest.  I'm a marathoner dammit.  A 1/2 mile walk at a snail's pace just left me exhausted and winded.   Blah.

I know that my body is using all of its resources to grow a human but it's hard to accept that this is my current reality.  Even though I know it is only temporary, it's still tough when you are normally a really active person.  I know it will all be worth it but for now, it's just frustrating.


1 comment:

  1. Be glad that you don't have gestational diabetes...I did with my first pregnancy, and had to walk briskly for 30 minutes every day for the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy...luckily I could split it into 3 ten minute walks, but still.....that was in August and September...can you say WADDLE? Hang in there...he'll be here before you know it, and while you will remember that you were uncomfortable....you will forget just how bad it was! : )

    ReplyDelete