Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Week 34

Week 34
Rather than looking at the camera, I was looking at The Pilot who was most likely making faces at me trying to get me to laugh.  It usually works...and then we end up with some strange out takes
.
How far along? 34 weeks
Maternity clothes?  I'm really determined to not have to buy anymore work appropriate pants...even though things are getting a little snug.  I might have to wear the same 2 outfits for the last couple weeks of my pregnancy.... Another item I really don't want to have to buy more of?  Bras.  Unfortunately that isn't something one can "make do" with wearing the wrong size.  Sigh.
Have you started to show?  Yes, I ate a watermelon seed and this happened to me!
Symptoms: My hands and feet are starting to get a little puffy.  It's probably not noticeable to most people (unless they see my ring digging into my finger).  I have really narrow feet and skinny fingers so the fact that they have swollen a little is really only noticeable to me (though The Pilot could see it a little in my ankles the other day).

Baby boy's head is still down and has been putting pressure on my pelvic bone.  It's like he's pushing his head against the bone and pushing out.  Not painful, but certainly not comfortable either.  He's also had his feet up in my ribs/lungs a few times.  I usually get winded (even when sitting) or I can't even lean forward because he seems to be wedged.
Activity:  Does playing Uno with The Pilot and a cat count as activity?
Yeah, that happened.  We've had lots of hot, stormy weather here lately.  Which seems to have zapped the little energy I have left.  It was getting "late" (8 pm...because that's my style now) but I was waiting on some laundry to finish up before bed.  We didn't want to get involved in watching TV so we opted for a game instead.  We joked that we should pack the cards in my hospital bag in case we get bored (you know, in between contractions...riiiiight).  The hospital staff would probably make fun of us for being so old school.  We don't have smartphones so we resort to good ol' fashioned fun! :)  We did have fun...and obviously it was such a wild time that the cat needed to take a nap...right there.
Best moment this week:  I had my 34 week check up on Monday and got to hear his heartbeat again.  It's amazing how loud and strong it sounds!  It's starts as this whirling sound in the early scans and now its more of a thumping sound. I also got a pedicure with my mom on Monday.  It was wonderful!  Especially since it's really challenging to paint my own toes now.  Hopefully this will last until delivery day! 
Miss anything?  Pelotonia is a big cycling fundraiser in Ohio and is next month.  That means the cyclists are out in full force around town training for the ride.  And seeing the hoards of cyclists is making me jealous.  I pull into the garage and see my bike hanging on the wall and I swear it looks sad that it hasn't been ridden since last fall.  I'm also missing seeing my training friends each week.  They threw me a baby shower this week and it was perfect timing.  I was really missing their smiles and encouragement! 
Movement: I recently noticed I can tickle the little man.  My belly itched (yeah, that fun has returned) and I was lightly running my fingernails over my belly when little man sort of rolled.  I didn't think much of it until my friend mentioned she would do that to her baby when he was still cooking and he'd do the same thing.  And she said that when she runs her fingers on his back now (he's almost 4), he does the same rolling movement he did while he was still on the inside.  So I tried again.  I ran my fingers across my belly where I was pretty certain his back was and sure enough, he rolled and squirmed.  It's mind-blowing to me to think that everything I do, he experiences..and vice versa (as he must be stretching in this very moment and is wedged in between by rib cage and my pelvic bone because I can barely reach the keyboard).

He also got really sluggish the other day.  Enough for me to call the doctor's office.  As uncomfortable as some of his kicking can be, when there was an absence of kicking, my anxiety level went through the roof.  The nurse told me to wait it out another hour or two, that he was probably sleeping.  Sure enough, later in the day he started dancing a little jig on my bladder. and has been pretty active ever since.  I've never been so relieved to almost pee my pants.   When I was in the doctor's office a couple days later she reassured me that I did the right thing by one, noticing something was different and two, calling the office even though I was paranoid that I was being a nervous nelly.  She told me to just keep doing my fetal kick counts twice a day and call when something is off.  Sure I've done everything I can to keep myself and little guy healthy but I think that "parent worrying about their kid for the rest of their lives" thing kicked into full gear that day.
Food cravings:  A pound of strawberries was put away in the last 24 hours...  There was also some Pop Tart consumption.  I've also eaten a lot more salad in the last week.  The Pilot planted lettuce in his garden and it went bonkers!  We have tons and tons of lettuce.  It's pretty nice to be able to walk out the back door to grab some!
Gender:  Mister Man!  I think our friends and family are getting more and more excited to meet him but mostly because they want to know what his name is!  I think it's driving some of them a little nuts that we are keeping the name a secret until he arrives.
Looking forward to:  Seeing my feet while standing.  Being comfortable.  I'm basically uncomfortable 24/7 at this point.  I can't seem to get comfortable in bed, in a chair, standing, anywhere.  Basically I'm just looking forward to meeting our little man.  I've also been told that while I won't sleep much in those first few weeks/months, the sleep I do get will be much more comfortable that what I've got going on now.  I'm hanging onto that right now.
Not looking forward to:  I can't possibly get any more uncomfortable....riiight??  As I walked out the door yesterday for work I told The Pilot that I have no idea how women with more than one kid manage to look after kids while they are pregnant.  I feel like I'm barely able to get myself up and out the door some days!  And the people I know who have carried multiples, holy smokes I have all the respect in the world for you (not that I didn't before, I just have a whole new respect now!).
Milestones:  I'm about to start my weekly doctor visits already!  It's crazy how fast this pregnancy has gone so far.  I won't lie, the last couple weeks have gone really slowly.  It fits the saying that the "days are long but the years are short."  I'm uncomfortable and each day seems longer and longer but the weeks keep ticking by so quickly.

Baby boy was also serenaded again by his mama.  Vanilla Ice's Ice Ice Baby is a classic and little man must learn about music sampling...and DETROIT AVENUE. (C'mon, anyone between the ages of 25 and 40 probably just sang along with that.  Admit it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment