Thursday, December 1, 2011

The Garlic 5K

My second sinus infection in 6 weeks (or as the doctor called it, an unlucky coincidence) has derailed my training for the past week and a half. I was able to enjoy the holiday but the weekend was not so fun. I spent Monday napping, going to the doctor and cuddling (and coughing on) this little monster. Don't be fooled by her cuteness. She's the devil but she does love to cuddle.
The Pilot was instructed to not show my snot face.

Despite random coughing fits (quite unfortunate during meetings and in the middle of the night), I made myself go to the gym last night. I haven't run since my 9 miler almost 2 weeks ago. I was still coughing throughout the day but with a 5K scheduled for Saturday, I really wanted to get in at least one run before the race. I headed to the gym with the game plan of: run if you can, but it you start coughing, walk. If you start hacking up a lung, make a run for the exit.

I did a 3 minute warm up and then set the treadmill at my goal race pace: 12:45. I held on for nearly 3 miles at that pace without coughing up a lung! My shins didn't give me much trouble. My left hip got a little cranky by 2.5 but I ignored it and continued. In honor of the 5k on Saturday, I stopped at 3.1 miles in a total of 40:11. My average pace was brought down by my warm up and cool down but the actually running time was spent at race pace, so I was pleased. And also surprised that it didn't feel horrible after being off for several days.

So why am I calling it the Garlic 5k? I got home from work a little later than normal so I was hungry when I got home so I opted to eat dinner before the workout. The Pilot is home and had dinner ready for me: pasta, salad and garlic bread. Have I mentioned that I love that man? Anyways, despite allowing time to digest, I spent 3.1 miles tasting garlic. Ick. I'm sure my treadmill neighbors really appreciated me....such a classy runner I am.

3 comments:

  1. That sucks that you're sick! The weather has been so crazy, I'm sure that's not helping. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had runs when I swear I'm sweating garlic, haha.

    ReplyDelete