Saturday, December 24, 2011

A Tradition

For the past 20ish years, my family had gotten together with some longtime friends to watch the movie, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and eat what we affectionately refer to as the "Christmas pizza." The attendees of this annual Christmas tradition have varied over the years as some of us "kids" have moved around a little and have gotten married but this year, we were all in town, including The Pilot. If you're not familiar with the movie, you may want to stop reading now because the rest of this post will seem INSANE.

To spice it up a little this year, everyone was to either bring a prop from the movie or dress up as a character. We've talked about doing this for years and we finally went for it.

Having no shame, The Pilot and I dressed up and so did my brother and his family.

The Pilot and I were Todd and Margo, the Griswold's next door neighbors. We didn't go all out and purchase silver sweat suits to really be authentic but I did try to make my hair as large and as frizzy as possible.

Cousin Eddie, Catherine, Ruby Sue and Rocky
My brother's kids are probably wondering what the h- is going on....especially since my nephew's hair was gelled and their dad was wearing a women's bathrobe. These poor kids are going to need therapy for sure.

Some of the movie "props" included:

I'm not kidding you when I say that all of us....as in everyone in attendance...has a Beanie Baby squirrel tucked into our Christmas trees. Doesn't everyone do this? I guess not because I had some explaining to do last Christmas when I was telling The Pilot about my family's Christmas traditions.

Unconventional? Maybe, but this is one of my favorite annual traditions. We always have fun watching the movie (and saying the lines along with the movie) but it's great to spend some time with wonderful friends...friends who appreciate your sense of humor.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH! I love your family! Can I come next year??? That is awesome....

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have traditionally watched this movie with the kids every year besides this year...everyone has just been so busy :(

    I totally love this idea!! What fun is that. The movie is absolutely hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOLY CRAP. That is tottally, totally hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me LOL! You have no idea how many times I've turned to my husband and asked "Why is the carpet all wet, Todd?!" This is one of my all time favorite movies. I could practically quote the entire thing in my sleep. Too fun! I love all these party ideas.

    ReplyDelete