Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Week 28

Week 28
I look like I can barely keep my eyes open...maybe because that's the truth.

How far along? 28 weeks
Maternity Clothes?  I'm in about 99% maternity clothes but there are a few laying pieces (think open hoodies and cardigans) that I'm still wearing.  We usually snap the weekly pictures on the weekend so they all look pretty casual.  Maybe I should snap a few when I'm still in my work clothes.  For prosperity?  Or so I can look back in 20 years and laugh at how bad the clothes are.  Trouble is about 2.5 seconds after I get home from work, I am in my pajamas.  Clothing in general just seems uncomfortable lately.  With the exception of a dirt cheap obese man's t-shirt I picked up at a Kohl's clearance.  I'm taking less than $5 for the biggest, softest t-shirt I've ever seen. I'm not even sure how many Xs are in front of the L.  It's so ugly.  And so comfortable that I just don't care. 
Have you started to show?  I just told you my secret about the ugly t-shirt.  I think that says it all.  I will NOT be posting a photo of that.
Symptoms: Tying my shoes sideways?  As in, it's too hard to bend over so I cross my leg over my knee and tie my shoes that way.  Which results in a bow that is at the inside of my foot instead of the center.  There's also some minor swelling in my hands and feet.  And why it is an Olympic feat to roll over or sit up in bed is beyond me.  Have my ab muscles disappeared somewhere in there?  I fear there will be a day The Pilot is away and my co-workers will be trying to call, wondering where I am.  I will be stuck in bed like a turtle on it's back. 
Activity:  Weed pulling and laundry?  Standing for 2+ hours at a concert?  Those things all happened...and all zapped my energy more than expected.  Sigh.
Best moment this week:  The Pilot attempting to read to the baby...until I got a major case of the giggles.  Baby boy was jumping around and I STILL laugh every time I SEE and FEEL him move at the same time.  So there I am, laughing, with my belly shaking like Santa.  Which then caused The Pilot to start laughing.  So there we are, both laughing for no real reason at all.  This poor kid.  I sure hope he has a sense of humor because he'll have to in order to tolerate his parents.
Miss anything?  Caffeine.  As sleep becomes increasingly more disrupted, I wake up exhausted.  And there are mornings when I would give anything for a Coke.  But I cut out caffeine when I found out we were expecting.  Not that it was that difficult.  I usually only had one Coke a WEEK and that was about it in terms of caffeine.  I didn't really notice when I switched that weekly Coke with a water or sometimes orange juice until the last 2 weeks or so.  I find myself craving a full strength Coke!  I've had a few random caffeine-free colas but there are mornings lately where I could really use an extra jolt!  But I don't.  I figure my kid will be twitchy enough without the added stimulant.
Movement:  I don't think I will ever get used to this!  It still blows my mind each time I feel him kick, squirm, grab my internal organs, etc.  It's so bizarre.  There are times when it's comforting because I know he's still doing well in there.  But there are also times where he does something weird that makes me stop dead in my tracks.  Either he's punched my bladder and I darn near pee my pants or there is the time I swear it felt like I ran into something with my belly.  But didn't.  He must have been tugging from the inside or something weird like that.  It's pretty amazing what the female body experiences during this whole crazy process!
Food cravings:  Less than a pound of strawberries this week...but I may have made up for it in nectarines which had started making an appearance at the grocery.  I'll apologize to The Pilot now because our budget is about to be slapped around as the local farmers' market opens up soon.  And I swear the nectarine farmer sprinkles crack on his fruit when he sees me coming down the sidewalk.
Gender:  It's a boy!  And after hearing my brother tell me all about my niece's first slumber party for her 9th birthday, I'm thankful.  Wow.  Lots of drama coming from 8- and 9-year old girls!  I doubt we'll experience anything like that with a boy.  But also after taking a look at my 5-year-old nephew's knees, I think we may need to start stock piling band-aids and beef up our first aid kit!  He's rough and tumble for sure!
Looking forward to:  We have another ultrasound coming up soon so I'm looking forward to seeing him again.  Hopefully he's still a he!   I also get to see some of my closest friends and family this weekend at my first baby shower!
Not looking forward to:  I'm already getting a taste of what is to come in the next 2 months.  Hot.  Uncomfortable.  Less sleep.  None of which are things I am particularly fond of. Luckily it will be temporary.
Milestones: Third trimester!  Holy smokes this is going fast.  Part of me wants time to slow down.  The other, more uncomfortable part of me, is looking forward to the end of pregnancy and the beginning of parenthood (you know, an entirely different kind of uncomfortable).

1 comment:

  1. Yeah to the third trimester! I can't believe how fast it's going.

    ReplyDelete