Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Getting My Sweat On

I had a "oh crap" moment on my lunch break yesterday. I was looking over my calendar for the next month and it occurred to me that I am currently signed up for 3 races (and pondering a 4th) in the next 5 weeks. Normally I don't do that many races, especially so close together. There is a 5K next week, a quarter marathon (a first for me) on September 4 and then a 1/2 marathon on September 17. It's not that any of these races intimidate me....but, I kinda got swept up in the wedding madness and my training has suffered. As in, I don't think I have worked out since the weekend before the wedding. Yikes. I also looked at my training plan for the 1/2 marathon. I'm scheduled to do 9 miles this weekend. The furthest I've gone since the beginning of June is probably 6 miles. Double yikes. I might have to make adjustments to my training calendar.

I had already planned to meet up with the TNT alumni training after work yesterday (I have to pack a bag of clothes to change before I leave the office) but once I realized the race schedule and that I'm behind in training, I realized just how much I need to get in gear.

I met up with some TNT alumni and was able to keep up (running) for about a 1/2 mile before getting dropped. This is normal when I run so I wasn't worried about it but it was only a quarter mile later that I realized how much fitness I have lost since the triathlon last month. My legs and lungs felt like they were on fire. Boo! I made it about a mile and decided I should just start fresh, as if I was learning to run again. I ran 1/2 a mile and walked 1/2 a mile for a total of 5 miles last night. The humidity around here finally eased up and while it was still hot, it didn't feel too bad. I was drenched in sweat by mile 2 but that's sure better than starting the workout drenched because it's 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity!

It felt good to get it done...but slightly overwhelming because I feel so far behind. I will most likely have to do a run/walk for this half marathon instead of running like I had planned. A fellow TNT coach tried to remind me that I shouldn't be so hard on myself since I just got married and have had a lot on my plate. True, but it's still frustrating but the only person I have to blame is myself....ok, and maybe The Pilot. It's his fault that he's so wonderful and I've wanted to spend so much time with him! ;)

But you know what, I made it 5 miles! When I was training for my first race EVER back in 2004, walking one mile was difficult. I have to remind myself that I have come a loooong way and that I shouldn't try to speed up the process. Becoming a lean, mean marathon/triathlon machine is not easy and it can't be rushed!

So I logged 5 miles and was reminded that the Central Ohio Chapter of TNT has some of the best volunteers around....

What a beautiful sight! Thank you, Mitsu, for hooking us up with post-training popsicles!


I LOVE Minute Maid juice bars! It tasted sooooo good and cooled me right off!


These wonderfully sweaty people got popsicles too!

GO TEAM!

No comments:

Post a Comment