Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Listening too closely?

While training for 1/2 and full marathons, you learn to adapt to feeling uncomfortable from time to time (or all the time).  You learn to suck it up and push through pain.  You go train even when you don't feel like it.  You only half listen to what your body is telling you because you know half the time it's lying to you; telling you you can't run another step, another mile, etc.  LIES! 

When we found out I was pregnant, I made the decision to keep up my usual routine but I would listen to every signal my body gave me.  I would modify as needed.  If I was winded, I'd slow down.  If I was tired, I'd rest.  And I think that is backfiring.  I'm out of my usual routine and I'm having a hard time getting back at it.  One problem, I'm always tired.  I need to find the balance of sucking it up and working out anyways...and taking care of me and baby.

A struggle is that I'm not signed up for any races so there isn't a specific training goal.  I've never done well with working out just for fitness.  I need an end goal.  You would think not gaining a zillion extra pounds from baby would be goal enough but not so much.  I will say that goal is keeping my eating in check on the days when I want to stuff my face with nothing but french fries and cookies but it's not getting me on the treadmill or out on the trails.

My schedule has also been a struggle but that's not a good excuse.  It's never been an excuse before.  While my workouts may slack as I get busy, I never abandon them completely.  I've also slowed down quite a bit and that's somewhat annoying.  I can't keep up with people I normally can keep up with (heck, I've even had to call after The Pilot to slow down in the grocery store).  Lame. 

Here's a good example of my though processes lately:

Saturday: The Pilot and I could have easily gone for a walk/run in the afternoon.  The weather was beautiful.  But he was about to leave on a 4-day trip and we still needed to run a few errands.  So that's what we did.  No workout for either of us.  I would have never let that happen if I was training for a race.  The errands would have waited.  I probably could have done some of them on my own (though I did need his input for one) another day.

Sunday: I could have gone for a short walk on my own in the morning before the Easter festivities began.  I went to the basement to throw in a load of laundry and while I was down there, I decided I couldn't take the clutter for another minute.  I HAD to clean up the basement.  So at 8:30 am, instead of working out, I was calling my dad to confirm the difference between a wood screw and a metal screw (I actually had it correct!) so I could sort out a bin full of random parts.  I will say that I felt a lot better once the basement was organized but I also felt guilty because by the time I hung out with my family for Easter, cleaned the basement and did the laundry, there wasn't time for a workout.

Never underestimate the neurosis of a type-A pregnant lady who's nesting instinct may have kicked in a couple months too early.  At least all the screws, bolts and other random home repair type stuff has been organized....and labeled.  I have a problem.



1 comment:

  1. No worries, Amber...this is practice for figuring out how to get your workouts in once the bambino/bambina has arrived in the world! Just keep working at it, and you'll find a rhythm that will work for you.

    ReplyDelete